Thursday, June 29, 2006

...and so it begins.

I'm going on a little adventure in September. In keeping with tradition, it's a non-adventurous adventure, seldom deviating from towns and cities that have a Marks and Spencer food hall or a Pizza Hut. The purpose of the trip (or, to be more accurate, 3 trips) is attendance at a few of the dates on the forthcoming tour by my current favourite band. Financial constraints mean that I cannot attend all of them, and I am a little upset that I will have to miss one in particular due to the extra cost and logistics involved in coming home again (some 500 miles) for one day, so that I can pick up my car for another couple of days away in a totally different part of the country!

This morning, I booked a flight from Cardiff to Glasgow, the final leg of the journey. The flight cost "nothing", but the taxes, etc. brought the cost up to £15. In spite of wishing to minimise the cost of the entire two and a half weeks of fun and frolic, I can justify this apparent extravagance by telling myself that it would be better to be home by tea time on the Saturday, able to tidy up and make a start on the laundry, and wake up fresh on the Sunday ready for what the world will be preparing to throw at me, rather than staggering, bleary-eyed, from a restless overnight coach trip to the bus stop, travelling home and wasting the rest of the day asleep. I learned this painful lesson a few weeks ago after I returned from a weekend in Brighton. Proud though I was of paying not much more than £5 for a 970 mile round trip, I squandered a perfectly good day off and almost suffered a DVT.

Of course, it's all academic. I can't afford to pay for accomodation or for transport for any more of the connections at the moment. I have still to decide on one more gig and I hope that, by the time I have explored all the possible transport options, the small amount of tickets available will all have been sold, thus relieving me of the burden of travelling out of London, where I hope to remain for 4 nights. It's all still up in the air, as I hope to be in the middle of September.

No comments: