Sunday, December 25, 2011

So, this is Christmas, and what have you done?


In all honesty, very little. It started a few weeks ago with an on-line splurge and ended last night with the removal of food from the freezer. Somewhere in between, items were squashed into already over-filled bags, delivery drivers came and went and lists that had been made were checked at least twice before being discarded. The presents were wrapped and placed under the wonky £5 Tesco Christmas tree adorned with decorations that had seen better days 40 years ago. The 19-year-old Christmas lights twinkled long into the night, then it was time for bed. What’s it all for, though?

I use it as an excuse to take an extended break from work, even though there’s only about seven hours of daylight at this time of year. I’m relieved to report that there’s no snow this year. Instead, there are gale-force winds and occasional rain. This is more like it. The last two winters have been extreme, even for Scotland, and although I don’t mind being confined to quarters occasionally, being forced to remain indoors for days on end makes me more miserable than the ‘holiday season’ does in a normal year. I have no idea what the next week will bring in terms of activities and entertainment, but it’ll be better than working.

Later today, I will eat more than I should then regret it; I will relax my ban on alcohol to raise a glass to absent friends, even though certain individuals who are still alive won’t be doing the same for me; I will wish that almost everything about this day could be different. At 7pm, I will take the proverbial phone off the proverbial hook and watch this year’s Christmas Doctor Who episode, the only thing that has made this day bearable for the last six years. I’ll probably watch Coronation Street then choose a funny DVD to finish off. La dolce vita it isn’t, but it helps to dull the pain. There’s nothing else to say.

No comments: