Sunday, March 04, 2012

Things are so bad, I can't even come up with a good title


The first four days of March are almost gone and I’ve not yet blogged this month. Am I ill? Well, now you (or I) come to mention it, yes. I ache all over, and I’m still a bit wibbly wobbly. Not everything can be put down to the long-running ear problem. I may or may not have strained something in the neck/shoulder area lifting a heavy bag of shopping out of the car. I may or may not have been sitting for nearly an hour in the same position and restricted the blood supply to my right foot. I may or may not have a virus, sapping what little energy I have. Everything else can be put down to the long-running ear problem.

It’s been a funny weekend. The last Kilmardinny Music Circle recital for this season took place on Friday night. The Edinburgh Quartet played pieces by Haydn, Shostakovich, Macmillan and Beethoven. It was quite well-attended, and was a pleasant way to pass an evening. Afterwards, I headed for Mugdock Country Park with the intention of looking at Jupiter, Venus and Mars, but it had clouded over in the two hours I was in Kilmardinny House. I’d not have seen much, anyway. I can barely stand still, never mind hold a pair of 10x50 binoculars steady enough to see planets and their moons. The most notable feature of this detour turned out to be the craters all over the road. I was lucky to get the car back to civilisation in one piece.

I don’t remember Saturday. Before you say anything, I wasn’t under the influence. I was tired after running round town on errands, and the day seemed to disappear in a flash, much like Celtic’s winning run. Due to the absence of a number of players who hadn’t returned from International duty, and the injured Scott Brown, Mikel Lustig and Andre Blackman made their debuts, and Charlie Mulgrew was in centre-midfield. Sadly for Blackman, one of his legs got in the way of a shot from an Aberdeen player and the ball was deflected past Fraser Forster. This cancelled out a well-worked Anthony Stokes goal. Here’s hoping this isn’t the start of a downward spiral.

Today, after an excess of ironing, I lost the will to live, and sat around staring at the telly all afternoon. I’ve no idea what was on, but that didn’t matter. I snapped out of my trance in time to travel to Paisley to take part in an open rehearsal with the St. James Orchestra, as part of the Weaving Musical Threads festival. We played the theme to ‘Chariots of Fire’, Johann Strauss’ 'Radetsky March' and Souza’s 'Liberty Bell’. Unfortunately, it only lasted for an hour. I returned home and took my telescope out to take advantage of the clear sky, which, typically, had started to cloud over. I eventually managed to see more detail on the moon than I had previously (sorry, no photos), but had no luck with Jupiter, Venus, Mars and anything else I could see with the naked eye. I’m not giving up, yet, but I’m thinking about it.

No comments: