Thursday, May 03, 2012

A funny thing happened on the way to the forum


I should have been at the theatre, watching David Hayman in ‘King Lear’ (yes, more Shakespeare I can’t comprehend), but my conscience got the better of me and I found myself at Celtic Park for what turned out to be Mark Wilson’s last game. It was also Thai Tims Thursday, and the charming boys and girls from the Good Child Foundation, accompanied by their bum-wiggling tiger mascot (a bit like Hoopy the Huddle Hound with a personality) entertained the crowd before kick-off.

Celtic didn’t play as well as they could have, and not least because there had been seven changes to the team, but there were some good performances, particularly from the unlucky Mo Bangura, who was making his first appearance since last year (I think), and very nearly scored his first Celtic goal. The starting line up was Zaluska, M. Wilson (captain), Rogne, K. Wilson, Izaguirre, McGeoch, Wanyama, Ledley, Commons, Bangura and Stokes (who got the only goal of the game). Gary Hooper replaced Dylan McGeoch, Mark Wilson was replaced by Cha, and Kris Commons, who appears to be getting back to his best, made way for debutant Rabiu Ibrahim, who is small, strong and very, very quick. Hopefully, we’ll see more of him next season.

Apparently, six players will be leaving, and they’ve been told. We now know that Mark Wilson is one. He has been a consistent performer in his time at the club, a good servant, and a Celtic man, but has had an awful time with injuries since he joined in 2006. Last season, he became a regular in Lennon’s team, after having been neglected by Tony Mowbray. He even played at centre-half, when required, scored some goals, was booked for celebrating, captained the team and came out of his shell. He endeared himself to the sceptics in the Celtic support who never seem to appreciate loyalty, hard work and a steadying influence in the team. I did, and I’ll miss him.

So what happened to ‘King Lear’? I’m going next Thursday, instead (not anywhere near as good a seat, though). That’ll give me time to read it, not that I think it will help. It also means that I’ll be out 10 nights in a row, and 11 out of 12 nights. What can I say?

No comments: