Thursday, May 17, 2012

Normal service has been resumed


It’s been a while. I’ve got no excuse. It’s not as if I’ve been out every night. I guess I’m more tired than I realise. It all started to go wrong last Thursday night and, one week later, I’m still out of sorts.

Let’s get the obituaries out of the way, first. As I type, BBC4 is showing ‘Top of The Pops 77’. She’s not on this particular edition, but 1977 was the year that Donna Summer’s ‘I Feel Love’ was blaring out of every radio and at every school disco. Georgio Moroder’s hypnotic backing track provided the ideal accompaniment to Ms. Summer’s voice and catapulted her into the mainstream. Eh? Yes, the mainstream. Don’t you remember her more saucy records? She went on to have a successful career, with many hits in the UK. My favourite is ‘Dinner With Gershwin’, which came much later, and her duet with Barbra Streisand, ‘Enough Is Enough’, is worthy of mention, but she’ll always be remembered, fondly, by those of a certain age, for ‘I Feel Love’.

Both this week’s and last week’s rehearsals went reasonably well. Brahms and Kabalevsky are beginning to sound good enough to fool the audience into thinking that some of us can actually play, but it appears that ‘The Great Gate of Kiev’ from ‘Pictures at an Exhibition’ shall not let us pass. With only 23 days to go, why am I blogging?

Last Wednesday, I went back to the RCS for ‘The Duchess of Malfi’ and on Thursday, I was at the Citizens Theatre for ‘King Lear’ (where it was almost hours before there was a comfort break). I’m not qualified to talk about these plays (or ‘Measure for Measure’ from the previous week), but the high body count was noticeable. Perhaps I’ll return to the subject of Renaissance drama in the Autumn, when I’ll be having a much closer examination of ‘The Duchess of Malfi’, in an effort to ‘do’ English Literature?

I had a normal Friday, re-acquainting myself with the washing machine, and Saturday was spent engaged in shopping and banking duties. Sunday brought rain and a party. The SPL trophy was presented to the 2011-2012 champions, but not before a jazz band, a juggler, a unicyclist, the Elvis Cleaning Company and the Thai Tims entertained the crowd, and Gary Hooper scored five goals to send the Jambos back to Edinburgh with their tails between their legs.

Monday found me in the City Halls for the Merchant Voices Summer Concert. Apart from the audience clapping between movements, it went well. Accompanied by the St. James Orchestra, they treated us to, among other things, Faure’s ‘Requiem’ and a rendition of ‘The Way You Look Tonight’ that had me wiping the tears from my tired, old eyes. I think I might go and see their next concert (ahem).

To round off, some words about the BBC SSO ‘Afternoon Performance’ at the City Halls. It really isn’t that long since the name ‘Stravinsky’ would give me the heebeegeebees. The second piece after the interval, the plinky-plonky ‘Movements for Piano and Orchestra’, could only serve to reinforce that prejudice or misconception. The rest of the programme, however, was a delight, and well worth taking a half a day of leave from the cultural backwater that is my day job.

Opening with what we would call ‘Song of the Volga Boatmen’, the SSO, and guest soloist (where appropriate), Steven Osborne, treated us to quite a few interesting works by this versatile composer; ‘Concerto in D for String Orchestra’, ‘Capriccio for Piano and Orchestra’, an orchestration of Chopin’s ‘Grande Valse Brillante’ and the ‘Concerto for Piano and Wind Instruments’. Perhaps it’s time I confronted my fears?

No comments: