Monday, October 31, 2011

Always, always, always the sea


Guide Me O Though Great Jehovah; Immortal, Invisible, God Only Wise; Finlandia and the 3rd movement of the Karelia Suite by Jean Sibelius; The Intermezzo from the English Folk Song Suite and Five Variants of Dives and Lazarus by Ralph Vaughan Williams; The Queen Bee by the Count Basie Orchestra; Carrion by British Sea Power: If I were to have a funeral to which people would come and pay their respects, they’d have to listen to a CD featuring, in an as-yet undecided order, this selection of tunes. How the Brighton-based purveyors of high-church amplified rock music came to be in such exalted company is something for another place and time, but it speaks volumes for them that they are.

As the clock struck midnight at the end of the first day of GMT, and Sunday became Monday, I arrived home after a tiring and stressful 100-mile round trip to Edinburgh where I had gone to see BSP at the Liquid Rooms in Victoria Street. I was compelled to make this pilgrimage, not by warnings that this would be the last tour for some time, but because of the significance of the venue. On Saturday the 9th of April 2005, the day Prince Charles eventually married Camilla Parker-Bowles, I hopped on a train to our nation’s capital on a damp, spring evening for my first live encounter with a band that the fates and me had conspired to miss on a number of occasions in the previous couple of years. Was last night’s sojourn the final chapter in a five and a half year saga of ups and downs and to and fro and trains and boats and planes (and cars and buses)? I am less sure of the answer, and less secure in my opinions, than I was when I left home just before six o’clock.

I witnessed a mature, sensible, polished, yet jolly performance from a band renowned for its on-stage antics, as much as its music and its passionate, enthusiastic fans. The Liquid Rooms does not lend itself to climbing, jumping, stage diving and other frivolities (I have a vague memory from 2005 of Eamon being trapped at the back of the stage unable to perform his trademark march around the audience with the big drum) and this has an effect on the crowd, which was so subdued that I wondered if they'd all been tranquillised. I didn’t go to the front, to avoid any hearing difficulties but also to avoid the legendary Bill, but it transpired that he had been ejected for urinating against a wall. I presume he couldn’t navigate his way to the toilet. Even one of the staff had no idea where it was!

I arrived too late to see the first support act, Ducks Fly To Moscow, otherwise known as the band’s guitar tech, Malcolm. I also missed most of Electric Soft Parade’s set, but they were sounding better than I have ever heard them. Then it was time.

They opened with Remember Me, not a particularly inspiring rendition, but sometimes it’s a good idea for a band to get its best-known song out of the way before a set of more recent material. Next came We Are Sound, which Scott dedicated to the recently departed Bill. In my belated, initial appraisal of Valhalla Dancehall, this was one of the tracks I resolved to ignore in future and it appears I was more than a tad hasty in arriving at my assessment: having not seen them for over two years, I had not heard any of the album’s songs live and the stage is where this band and its songs can come to life and assume totally new personalities. The immediately recognisable bass introduction to Oh Larsen B was sufficient to warm the cockles of my cold, dead heart, as it brings back wonderful memories of the late-2005 tour.  They followed this with Who's In Control?, which, no matter how many times I hear it, is unlikely to become one of my favourites. Bear from the Zeus EP followed and, again, I had never heard this track live, and it shone in that setting. Neil took centre stage for a trio of songs and opened his mini-set with a complete surprise; Open The Door. I was disappointed not to be treated to Moley and Me or A Lovely Day Tomorrow, as Open The Door is not one of my favourite tracks, but it reminds me so much of one particular gig (New Brighton) and two wonderful people (Deborah and Morgan) that I can’t complain too much about its inclusion. One of the best tracks on Valhalla Dancehall came next, Mongk II, a track ideally suited to a live setting. It was one of my highlights of the evening.

I’ve said it before, in other places, that the ‘easy, easy’ chant annoys me, but last night I came to the conclusion that it distracts (and detracts) from what is one of the best tunes (and lyrics) ever written by Neil and one of the finest tracks ever recorded by BSP, No Lucifer. In another, more enlightened world, this song would have been top of the charts for a long, long time. Next came a song from Open Season, and one that I will always associate with that night in 2005, North Hanging Rock, and this was followed by another one of my non-favourites, Living Is So Easy. It would be ironic if the lyrics weren’t ironic.

Another one I underestimated at the time was Observe The Skies and again my opinion has been changed by hearing it live. This is no bad thing, as it means that I am finally warming to more of what I still believe is a rather incoherent jumble of an album. Their last dip in form occurred, strangely enough, with their second album, the lead single from which was the very Echo and The Bunnymen-like It Ended On An Oily Stage; again, no bad thing, as the Bunnymen were the only band I ever felt similarly about. The (uncharacteristic, and hopefully, temporary) mature, sensible side of the band was obvious during The Spirit Of St. Louis, which was always one of those numbers that provided an excuse for mayhem, both on and off the stage, but not last night. Next came Waving Flags from Do You Like Rock Music and, finally, from the same album, The Great Skua; a flawless performance and a powerful, emotional ending to the set.

After a few minutes, an encore: Apologies To Insect Life, another one of those tunes designed to get the band and audience going; again, not tonight, and finally, Carrion, topped off with All In It.

They think it’s all over. It had better not be.


No comments: