Tuesday, October 04, 2011

It's a cat's life

According to Britain's answer to Imelda Marcos, Theresa May, an illegal immigrant was allowed to stay in the country because he had a cat. Last week, it was revealed that the estranged wife of some LibDem MP kidnapped a kitten from a house she claimed to part own. When you add to this the tale of the mad woman who threw a cat in a wheelie bin, our inscrutable furry friends have been in the news for all the wrong reasons. If I had time, I'd trawl the Internet for even sillier cat pictures than one normally finds out there; like this, for example:


I've tried to avoid coverage of the Tory conference, even more than I tried to avoid the LibDem and Labour events over the last two weeks. I figured that if I heard the phrase 'we're all in this together' one more time, I'd throw a heavy object at the telly. This wouldn't be a good idea, as I'd not be able to replace it due to the pay freeze and the upcoming industrial action, only one of which would be happening if this mob had never been born. The cat business almost got me interested. On the BBC News website this evening, we have the headline 'Theresa May in deportation cat flap'. I wonder if she's having kittens about the tomorrow's newspaper reaction, or that of her boss.

In other news, the orchestra had another go at the fourth movement of the Tchaikovsky. Just in case any of us has no idea what it's meant to sound like, the BBC SSO will be playing that symphony and Schubert's 'Unfinished' on Thursday evening.

No comments: