Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Down time

I'm bored. I'm the Chairperson of the Bored. I shouldn't be, I've got work to do; reading, writing (this counts, I believe), practising, counting, tidying, relaxing. Did I say 'relaxing'? I'm surprised that word is in my vocabulary. I'm permanently wired (or should that be 'totally wired'?) and the least relaxing time for me is when I know I've got nothing to do.

I listened to an album the other day, 'A Creature I Don't Know' by Laura Marling. How can someone so young sound like she's been alive forever and seen everything and done everything? She's 21! I've not read reviews of it (I heard a track when driving home one night), but I'll wager a few contain the word 'mature'. I'm hearing Joni Mitchell, Jennifer Warnes ('Famous Blue Raincoat' vintage), Joan As Policewoman and someone else I can't recall. She's in good company (apart from the last one, until I find out who she is). I've ignored her (and everyone else; no money for CDs, and no space to store them); unfairly, it seems. What else have I been missing out on?

I went on an impromptu holiday in November 2007. OK, it wasn't a holiday, it was business, music business. After that, I found it difficult to cope with Marc Riley's show being extended to four nights per week, and I've never recovered. I don't mean that I only hear music I might like on his show, but it had become the only place for me (no longer having access to daytime radio) to get exposure to new (and old) bands playing the kind of music I enjoy, as he is a reliable barometer on such matters. I've been forcing myself to tune in recently, and it's beginning to pay dividends, though it is to Hairy Toes herself (Jo Whiley, for non-Mark and Lard types) that I owe thanks for Miss Marling's delightful masterpiece.

I've not really been ignoring Metronomy, having had subliminal images (erm) of them on Marc's show for quite a while. Their CD arrived in the post with the Marling one, and the first half of it is worthy of the Mercury alone. They lost out, as we all know, to the legend that is Polly Jean Harvey. It's all subjective. I've never been a fan of Peej (another M&L-ism, I think) but that doesn't mean that I can't appreciate her artistry. I'd still prefer being locked in a room with Metronomy on a loop, though.

Veronica Falls' album dropped through the letter box today. I've not opened it, yet, and it may have to wait until the weekend. Why hurry? Their predecessors, the Royal We, split up before I could buy anything they released or get to see them, so I'll just play it cool. No point in running for the train after it's pulled out of the station. What's that you say? They're playing in Glasgow on Saturday? Nah. I'm not up to going to gigs anymore. I can turn the volume down on the CD player.

I've no idea what happened to my musical life. It's not just because I'm old or have wonky ears or loved one band too much. I don't want to go back in time, I just want to get back to a place where I can feel. I'll leave you (whoever YOU may be) with these words by Leonard Cohen

'...and if you ever come by here
for Jane or for me...'

Imagine Jennifer Warnes singing it. I do, frequently. It has a strange effect on me, just as it should.


No comments: